Click to Home

Go To Search
Heritage and Historic Sites

Curci House * Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church * Greater Ward Chapel A. M. E. Church * Historic School House * St. Anne's Episcopal Church

The City of Hallandale Beach is proud to be home to four Heritage sites and one historic site.



Curci House • 324 SW 2nd Avenue                                                                                                                      Built 1924

Villa Providence

In 1907, Frank Anthony Curci, with his wife Rosina and three small children, settled in Hallandale Beach at SW 5th Avenue and West Dixie Highway. As a pioneer family, they struggled, yet grew prosperous by reinvesting their farming profits into land purchases, which they used for additional tomato fields and fruit groves. As the family grew to a total of eleven children, so did Curci’s vision as he expanded into the construction business. Mr. Curci spoke five languages and was also an accomplished violinist, displaying his talents with the John Philip Sousa Orchestra during the 1896 grand opening of the Henry Flagler Royal Palm Hotel in Miami.

In 1924, the family built their dream home, “Villa Providence,” on their 11-acre site. This Mediterranean-style villa was constructed of concrete filled terra-cotta block walls, with Dade pine floors and imported Cuban tile details throughout. The most extraordinary feature was the array of imported Italian color glass that was imbedded in the exterior stucco finish. The Italian glass sparkled in the sunlight and glowed in the moonlight.

In 1926, when the Great Hurricane hit, dozens of nearby residents sought shelter with the family as their homes were damaged or destroyed. The Curci home stood strong, sustaining only minor damage. Frank, Rosina and family lived in the home until the early 1950s.

You can be a part of this historic Hallandale Beach home by purchasing a memorial brick that will be installed on the grounds.  For information about the program, including an application you can complete and mail in with your payment, click here.

Villa Providence was designated for inclusion on the National Register of Historic Places on December 24, 2013.  

A Hallandale Beach Historical Site 
Sponsored by the Historical Preservation Trust and City Commission

Back to top 

Curci House 
 Curci House historic marker
Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church 816 NW 1st Avenue                                                                    Established 1909

“We have Come This Far by Faith”

The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1909 by Sister Lougenia Johnson and Sister Missouri Wilson conducting Sunday School under a rubber tree. In 1910 Rev. A. T. Taylor, his wife, and Sister Lula Mack joined the group and begun the official organization of the church.

Since its first structure in 1912, Ebenezer Missionary Baptist evolved with the growth of its members and leadership. This current church structure was built in 1964 under the Pastoral leadership of Rev. O. W. Foster who served from 1944-1977.

The mantle of leadership of the greater ministry was passed on to Rev. Joe Cephas Johnson in 1977, and he continues to serve during this bicentennial year.

The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church has ministered and served the Hallandale Beach and South Broward community for 100 years. It has been a beacon of hope for the lost, a place of refuge for the needy through sharing, caring, and giving. Most of all, the Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church is a place where the gifts of the Spirit are in operation for the edification of the body of Christ, and where God is glorified. 

                    A Hallandale Beach Heritage Site Sponsored by the
                                Hallandale Beach City Commission


                                              Back to top
                 
  

Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church 
 Heritage Marker
  Greater Ward Chapel A.M.E. Church 900 NW 6th Avenue                                                                  Established 1902
"To God Be The Glory For All Of The Great Things He Has Done”

In 1902 a mustard seed was planted in the community, and with God's blessing, a group known as the "Pioneers" established the first church, which blossomed the dream into a reality.

The church was named after the late Bishop Thomas D. Ward and was originally located at the corner of 1st Avenue and 3rd Street, under the leadership of Reverend W. H. Maddox. As a small farming community with a scattered population, the membership grew slowly at first, and services were held only twice a month.

By 1958, the church had grown by leaps and bounds, and under the dynamic leadership of the late Reverend David A. Russell, Sr., a sanctuary was built at this location.

Over many decades the Church has been blessed with exceptional leadership and has produced many outstanding leaders and visionaries who helped to shape and solidify the community.

On March 17, 2002, Greater Ward Chapel celebrated its 100th anniversary under the leadership of Reverend Arthur J. Davis. Reverend Dr. John Wesley Williams, Jr., currently serves as the pastor at Greater Ward Chapel, which stands as the bulwark of the community where God is glorified.
  
                A Hallandale Beach Heritage Site Sponsored by the
                             Hallandale Beach City Commission

                                              Back to top
                                                                   
 Greater Ward Chapel A.M.E. Church
 Heritage Marker
 Historic School House • 948 NW 2nd Street                                                                                         Established 1910

The Hallandale Beach Historic School House was built in 1910, and is the oldest building in Broward County known to have been originally built as a school house.  When the 1910 hurricane destroyed the school, local citizens petitioned the Dade County School Board (Broward was formed in 1915) for a new building.  The School Board claimed that it lacked the funds to replace the school but offered to contribute the lumber and other materials necessary to build another school house.  A group of Hallandale residents travelled to Miami, picked up the wood and supplies, and delivered it to the site of the first school.  The two-room structure was built with by volunteer labor.

The last public school classes were held in the spring of 1916.  The school sat abandoned for the next five years and in 1921 Bethlehem Lutheran Church purchased the building.  The building served as a church learning center until 1966 when it was donated to the City and moved to its present location.

As time took its toll on the wooden structure, the City stepped in to preserve the historical landmark in the City's evolution.  The City's Department of Public Works craftsmen worked diligently to bring the building back to life.

The Historic School House grand opening was held February 18, 2015.

                A Hallandale Beach Heritage Site Sponsored by the
                            Hallandale Beach City Commission

                                               Back to top

 school house.jpg
 school house2.jpg
 St. Anne's Episcopal Church • 705 NW 1 Avenue                                                                                      Established 1914

  
The Episcopal Church of Hallandale Beach, designated as St. Anne's Church, was organized in 1914 by a group of Bahamians who had come to this part of Florida bringing with them their right traditions of the Anglican Church in the Bahamas.  First services were held in a wooden building at the corner of what is now Dixie Highway and Foster Road.  The present property at the corner of Northwest First Avenue and Seventh Street was purchased in 1921 and a small wooden church was erected which served until it was destroyed in the 1926 hurricane.

In 1927 funds from the national head-quarters of the Episcopal Church in New York were provided for a new building.  This building served until Labor Day 1935 when it was also destroyed by a hurricane.  Nothing was left of the building except the church bell which was used by the City of Hallandale Beach during World War II as an air raid warning.  Left without a church building, members worshiped in the homes of various parishioners.  Finally, a faithful remnant determined that St. Anne's Church should be rebuilt. Ladies of the congregation held many dinner sales in an attempt to raise the necessary funds. 
How many actually worked on the project is not known.   Ninety-five percent of the church walls were laid with handmade blocks. Eventually, the walls were up and the Rt. Rev'd John D. Wing, Bishop of the Diocese of South Florida, when presented with what had been accomplished, made a grant of $2,000.00 to complete the construction.  First services were held in the new church on Palm Sunday on March 21, 1948.

          A Hallandale Beach Heritage site sponsored by the
                       Hallandale Beach City Commission
 
                                       Back to top
 

 stanne.jpg
 stanne2.JPG