Click to Home

Go To Search
Code Compliance Division

               Register a complaint * Common Violations and Helpful Tips for Compliance * Notices of Violation

Kimberly Bruce (2).JPG
Contact Inform
Kimberly Bruce
Code Compliance Official 
400 SouthFederal Highway
Hallandale Beach, FL 33009
(954) 457-1390
8:00 am-5:00pm




As a property owner or resident, you are aware of how the appearance of your property can impact the overall image of your street, neighborhood, and City as a whole. As a means of ensuring our neighborhoods are well-kept and in good condition, the City of Hallandale Beach Code of Ordinances specifies minimum standards for housing, yards, parking, etc. These standards protect property owners by ensuring neighboring properties will not be left to deteriorate and become unattractive.

Many residents are unaware of the City's requirements pertaining to general property maintenance and zoning. This site has been developed to assist residents in understanding some of the City’s requirements and includes the most common code violations, a section advising residents how to bring their property up to code, and general tips and information pertaining to Code Violations and Code Compliance.

For more information on the Code Compliance process, click on this

Register a Complaint

Any citizen can register a complaint by contacting the 
Code Compliance Division by email or at (954) 457-1390. The complaint will be investigated and if determined a violation does exist, the Code Compliance Specialist  assigned to the area will issue the appropriate notice of violation.

·        Code Compliance Official
Kimberly Bruce

(954) 457-1637

·         Code Specialist
Business License Inspections

(954) 457-1392

·         Code Specialist
Southeast/Northeast Section

(954) 457-1394

·         Code Specialist
Northeast/Northwest Section

(954) 457-1395

·         Code Specialist
Southwest/Northwest Section

(954) 457-1396

 back to top

Choice Award Presentations Click here

Common Violations and Helpful Tips for Compliance

Structure Conditions
The maintenance of a structure is the responsibility of the property owner. All exterior surfaces of your home should be free of any deterioration, including mildew, peeling or chipping paint and discoloration from mineral stains, as well as rotten wood. In addition, all windows and doors should be in good repair, rodent- proof and weather tight.

Yard and Public Right-of-Way Maintenance

Yard maintenance standards are the responsibility of every property owner and include the maintenance of the public right-of-way abutting the property. Grass/weeds and other undergrowth should be no greater than (6) inches on improved properties and eighteen (18) inches in on vacant lots. Yard areas should be fully landscaped with sod or another type of approved ground cover and the right-of-way should be kept free of debris. Do not improperly prune or "hat rack" any tree within the City. Click 
here for tree care and proper pruning techniques.

Remove debris upon private property or the public right-of-way swale area. A special pick-up may be requested through the City. Prices are based on cubic yards and on individual bulk items. City Sanitation customers are permitted one free pickup of vegetation and yard waste per year, a maximum of 6 cubic yards. To schedule a pickup, contact the 
Sanitation Division weekdays, from 8:30 am to 5:30 pm or by phone at (954) 457-1616.

Place garbage receptacles near the street for pickup after 6:00 pm on the day preceding the day of pickup. Receptacles must be placed at least 25 feet from any street right-of-way by 9:00 pm on the day of pickup.

Do not allow a pool to be in an unsanitary and unsafe condition.  A safety barrier is required to surround the pool or the property where the pool is located.

Parking of passenger automobiles is allowed in the public right-of-way; however, it is the responsibility of the owner to ensure the area is properly graded to retain water runoff, and the grass is kept healthy. Dead or missing sod must be replaced. Public sidewalks should be kept free of breaks, cracks and uneven areas. It is the responsibility of the abutting property owner to maintain the sidewalk in good repair at all times. To replace or repair a damaged sidewalk, a permit must be obtained from the City's Building Division.


Motor vehicles including passenger automobiles, recreational vehicles, utility trailer and other types of vehicles, are required to be maintained in an operable condition, unless within a completely enclosed structure. An operable vehicle is defined as a vehicle displaying a current license tag and/or is equipped with all parts required to legally and safely operate on the public street and/or can be driven under its own power.

Boats, utility trailers, recreational vehicles, special purpose vehicles, and trucks more than one ton may not be parked on the public right-of-way in a residential area. Do not occupy a recreational vehicle for living purposes, except in a licensed trailer or mobile home park. Do not park commercial vehicles or equipment in a residential area between the hours of 9:00 pm and 6:00 am. Major automobile repairs in a residential area is prohibited unless in a completely enclosed structure, such as a garage


Unleashed Dogs/Animal Care 

All dogs are required to be on a leash when in public. When walking your dog, it is your responsibility to pick-up the dog's waste. Dogs are only permitted in appropriately designated City parks or beaches. It is also an owner's responsibility to ensure their dog's barking is controlled and does not disturb surrounding neighbors.

To report any violations of animal care, please contact police dispatch, (954) 765-4321.  For more information on rules and regulations for animal care and responsibilities visit 

House Numbers

Every residential structure is required to have address numbers permanently affixed on the front of the structure in a conspicuous location. Each figure number should be a minimum of (3) three inches in length. Where a street and alley are located in the front and rear, the address numbers should be placed on the front and rear of the building. This will ensure emergency personnel will be able to locate your home.

Onsite Parking Requirements

All residential property owners are required to provide onsite, paved parking. The number of parking spaces required is based on the number of permitted dwelling units. Parking on an unpaved surface, such as gravel or grass, is not allowed. Please contact the Planning and Zoning Division by email or by phone at (954) 457-1378 for more information about legally recognized parking areas.


Commercial Equipment and Vehicles 

Commercial equipment and vehicles are not permitted to park on residential property or in residential areas between the hours of 9:00 pm and 6:00 am, unless the equipment and vehicles are stored within in a completely enclosed structure.


Outdoor Storage

Outdoor storage of materials or equipment is not permitted. Residents are required to keep yard areas clear of materials such as household appliances, indoor furniture, automobile parts or other materials not intended for outdoor usage or exposure. Do not allow materials of any nature, which are not intended to be utilized within a reasonable period, to be accumulated or stored.

Illegal Conversions

Increasing the number of living units to the exterior or interior of a residential structure is an illegal conversion and is not permitted. Regardless of how long the units have existed, once discovered, the City will require closure and/or removal of the illegal units.

Dumpster Enclosure Requirement

The City of Hallandale Beach Code of Ordinances requires owners of multi-family residential and/or commercial businesses to construct an opaque enclosure (opaque means the hiding or screening from visual view) to house your bulk waste container (dumpster) or bulk recycling containers.

For design specifics on dumpster enclosures click
Dumpster Enclosure Requirements.

back to top

Notice of Violations

Should you receive a Notice of Violation, the violation must be corrected on or before the date provided in the Notice. A time extension may be granted; however, health and safety issues may require immediate attention without further delays. To request a time extension, contact the Code Compliance Specialist listed in the Notice. Although a regular inspection of your property will be conducted during routine patrol to determine compliance, you must contact the Code Compliance Division by email or at (954) 457-1390 for a reinspection once the violation is corrected.

back to top