Heritage and Historic Sites
324 SW 2nd Ave
In 1907, Frank Anthony Curci, with his wife Rosina and three small children, settled in Hallandale Beach at SW 5th Avenue and West Dixie Highway. As a pioneer family, they struggled, yet grew prosperous by reinvesting their farming profits into land purchases, which they used for additional tomato fields and fruit groves. As the family grew to a total of eleven children, so did Curci’s vision as he expanded into the construction business. Mr. Curci spoke five languages and was also an accomplished violinist, displaying his talents with the John Philip Sousa Orchestra during the 1896 grand opening of the Henry Flagler Royal Palm Hotel in Miami.
On December 24, 2013, Villa Providence was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Be a part of Hallandale Beach Legacy. Purchase your own part of history and buy an engraved memorial brick to be placed in the yard of the Curci House.
Check out Curci House Rentals!
648 NW 2nd Street
The Historic Hallandale Schoolhouse was built in 1910, and is the oldest building in Broward County known to have been originally built as a schoolhouse. When the 1910 hurricane destroyed the school, local citizens petitioned the Dade County School Board (Broward was formed in 1915) for a new building. The School Board claimed that it lacked the funds to replace the school but offered to contribute the lumber and other materials necessary to build another school house. A group of Hallandale residents traveled to Miami, picked up the wood and supplies, and delivered it to the site of the first school. The two-room structure was built with by volunteer labor.
Check out Historic Schoolhouse Rentals!
HALLANDALE BEACH HERITAGE SITES
Greater Ward Chapel A.M.E. Church
900 NW 6th Avenue
To God Be The Glory For All Of The Great Things He Has Done"
In 1902 a mustard seed was planted in the community, and with God's blessing a group known as the "Pioneers" established the first church, which blossomed the dream into a reality.
The church was named after the late Bishop Thomas D. Ward and was originally located at the corner of 1st Avenue and 3rd Street, under the leadership of Reverend W.H. Maddox. As a small farming community with a scattered population, the membership grew slowly at first, and services were held only twice a month.
By 1958, the church had grown by leaps and bounds, and under the dynamic leadership of the late Reverend David A. Russell, Sr. a sanctuary was built at this location.
Over many decades the Church has been blessed with exceptional leadership and has produced many outstanding leaders and visionaries who helped to shape and solidify the community.
On March 17, 2002 Greater Ward Chapel celebrated its 100th anniversary under the leadership of Reverend Arthur J. Davis. Reverend John Wesley Williams Jr. currently serves as the pastor of Greater Ward Chapel, which stands as the bulwark of the community where God is glorified.
Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church
816 NW 1st Avenue
The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church was established in 1909 by Sister Lougenia Johnson and Sister Missouri Wilson conducting Sunday School under a rubber tree. In 1910 Rev. A.T. Taylor, his wife, and Sister Lula Mack joined the group and begun the official organization of the church.
Since its first structure in 1912, Ebenezer Missionary Baptist evolved with the growth of its members and leadership. The current church structure was built in 1964 under the Pastoral leadership of Rev. O.W. Foster who served from 1944-1977.
The mantle of leadership of this great ministry was passed on to Rev. Joe Cephas Johnson in 1977, and he continued to serve during this bi-centennial year.
The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church has ministered and served the Hallandale Beach and South Broward community for 100 years. It has been a beacon of hope for the lost, a place of refuge for the needy through sharing, caring, and giving. Most of all, The Greater Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church is a place where the gifts of the Spirit are in operation for the edification of the body of Christ, and where God is glorified.
St. Anne's Episcopal Church
705 NW 1st Avenue
St. Anne's Episcopal Church was established in 1914 by Melbourne Knowles, Ansel Saunders and A.L. Wilkins, all hailing from the Islands of the Bahamas. The first church services were held in a wooden building located on the corner of what in now Dixie Highway and Foster Road. The site was utilized as a Social Pool Hall from Monday to Saturday, and converted to a church sanctuary on Sundays.
In 1921, the organization purchased the current site of the church which was later destroyed by the "Great Miami Hurricane of 1926." The church sanctuary was rebuilt in 1927, but was destroyed yet again by the "Labor Day Hurricane of 1935." It is noteworthy to mention, that amidst the rubble of the 1935 Hurricane, the Church Bell was salvaged and was loaned to the City of Hallandale Beach for use as an Air-Raid warning signal during World War II.
Subsequently, in the early forties pioneer families worked tirelessly to handcraft cement blocks which were used to construct the new sanctuary. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Palm Sunday, March 21 1948, officiated by the late Rev. John Jarrett, II. Over the century, many priests served the St. Anne's Episcopal Church congregation providing spiritual and power leadership namely: Rev. George Taylor, 1968-1977; Rev. Robert Preston, 1977-1991; Rev. Dr. Williamson S. Taylor, 1993-2002; and Rev. Ronald N. Fox, 2010-Present.
"We can do all things in Christ who strengthens us" Philippians 4:13